Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hola

Hola,

Well, I've been really bad about writing for this, but I thought I would try to remedy that. I'm also completely new to blogging, so we'll see how this goes. I'll follow Allie and Paige's excellent lead and start with how I became involved with this issue/conference.

It really started when the amazing Jackie Guyer and I studied abroad in Costa Rica together last summer. When she found out I was working on a research paper on human trafficking last winter, she put me in contact with Paige. Everything just snowballed from there.

I knew when I started the research paper that I wanted this to be more than a class project; the more I learned about human trafficking, the more passionate I began to feel about the issue. Paige and I re-synced up after I finished my paper, and we started working on the conference in earnest. Fortunately, as the president of the Women’s and Gender Studies Student Group I’ve been able to use our student org status and departmental connections to let Paige start the room reservation process.

Right now my main focus is the November fashion show to raise money for an anti-trafficking organization, and to awareness about the issue and the conference. We’ve already got some designers who are interested in being involved, we’re working on the slogan/title (something along the lines of “You Could Stop Traffic in Those Clothes), decoration planning, etc. Let me know if you want to help!

Jenn K.

No comments: